Sunday, August 23, 2009

Quebec City; "our day off" = 25+ miles



Today was going to be our first day off since we started touring. Steve slept in while I went to have my mate/tea up in the attic of the B and B. Breakfast was amazing, I love Quebec because the way they prepare and present their delicious food. Every meal has 3-4 courses, even breakfast: first course granola with fruit and yogurt, second the best eggs over easy I've had in my life with fruit and pieces of local cheese on the side and a selection of breads. Third rhubarb/strawberry pie, and of course coffee and juice. So far so good, the day was going as planned. We got our bikes even though we were taking the ferry from Levis to Quebec city to get around in the old town. There was wind (probably the effects of Hurricane Bill), as we rode to the ferry station we realized the next one was leaving in 45 minutes. This is the part that I would do different if I can go again through the day: Steve suggested to ride to the bridge we can see in the horizon rather than wait for the ferry. The bridge we thought was 5 miles away, was really 10+ miles away and the wind on the bridge was at least 60 mph and I had trouble controlling the bike while walking...(you can see its effects on me in the picture).
The old town of Quebec city has beautiful buildings, great restaurants and stores, we rode and walked around, toured the local farmers market and tasted the local berries and took the ferry back. I did the laundry while Steve worked in the computer. We went to L'Escalator restaurant, near the B and B and had a 4 course meal with a view of the Chateau Frontenac. Tomorrow is another long day to Trois Rivieres half way between here and Montreal.

No comments:

Post a Comment